Cat vomiting is a common problem for cat owners. Just as it can have a detrimental effect on a cat’s health, it can also be a source of frustration for owners. So cat owners are always worried to choose the best cat food to prevent vomiting.
Cats’ vomiting is usually classified into two. One is acute throwing up food, which usually lasts one to two days. It is very easy to treat and heals quickly. Another is chronic throwing up food, which is considered a serious condition. In this case, the cat may vomit for several weeks. If the cat is suffering from chronic vomiting, owners must consult an experienced veterinarian.
Table of Contents
- 1 At A Glance: Best Cat Food To Prevent Vomiting (Top 5 Dry Cat Foods)
- 2 What Causes Vomiting In Cats?
- 3 How to Prevent Vomiting?
- 4 Best Cat Food To Prevent Vomiting
- 5 1. Purina ONE Sensitive Stomach Dry Best Cat Food to Stop Vomiting
- 6 2. Royal Canin Digestive Care Dry Cat Food for Cats that Vomit
- 7 3. Rachael Ray Nutrish Super Premium Dry Best Food for Cats who vomit
- 8 4. IAMS Proactive Dry Best Cat Food for Cats That Throw Up a Lot
- 9 5. Nutro Wholesome Essentials Dry Good Foods for Cat after Vomiting
- 10 Final Thought:
- 11 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 11.1 What is the best food for a cat that vomits?
- 11.2 Why does my cat throw up after eating?
- 11.3 Why does my cat keep throwing up undigested food?
- 11.4 Does grain-free cat food help with vomiting?
- 11.5 Why is my senior cat vomiting?
- 11.6 What is the best cat food to prevent hairballs?
- 11.7 What is the easiest food for a cat to digest?
- 11.8 How to soothe your cat’s upset stomach?
At A Glance: Best Cat Food To Prevent Vomiting (Top 5 Dry Cat Foods)
Take a look at the products we have reviewed in this article. In the comparison table below we have specifically demonstrated some important features of each product. In our article below you will find detailed information or discussion of each of these products.
|1||Sensitive Systems Adult Dry Cat Food||Purina ONE||Turkey||Price|
|2||Digestive Care Dry Cat Food||Royal Canin||Other||Price|
|3||Super Premium Dry Cat Food||Rachael Ray Nutrish||Chicken, Lentils & Salmon||Price|
|4||Proactive Health Adult Indoor Weight & Hairball Control||IAMS||Chicken||Price|
|5||Wholesome Essentials Indoor and Sensitive Digestion||Nutro||Chicken||Price|
Before we get into the reviews of our selected products, let’s take a look at the things we do in cats. Why this vomiting occurs and how it can be eliminated, etc.
What Causes Vomiting In Cats?
If your cat is throwing up, it could be for one of the following reasons. Such as-
- Cats are obligate carnivores. They absorb nutrients from animal proteins. But many owners ignore it and offer plant protein which is not suitable for her digestive and overall health. As a result, cats are infected with vomiting diseases.
- Fast eating is another reason for it.
- For hairball is one of the major reasons for throwing up food.
- When a cat shifts from one place to another. Especially when you bring home the foreign cat. This problem still occurs.
- Just as we have allergies to different foods, so do cats. Allergic foods can be one of the causes of vomiting.
- If you suddenly change your cat diet, vomiting is a common thing.
We didn’t discuss in detail the cat vomiting for the right reasons. Because we have already made a beautiful presentation about this. If you want to find out exactly what causes vomiting cats, that article can be a valuable discussion for you. So, read that article – why is cat throwing up food?
How to Prevent Vomiting?
Prevention is better than an antidote. So try to stop the cat from vomiting before it vomits. You do not need to know anything separately for this. Be aware of the reasons why cats vomit, then you will find a way not to vomit cats. Even then I mentioned some issues below. For example-
- Make it a habit to feed the cat slowly.
- The excess animal is prone in the cat’s diet.
- Remove cat food for cats that vomit.
- Control some specific food to offer cats, for example, Apple juice, Coconut food, and so on.
- Avoid foods that he is allergic to or that he does not like to eat, etc.
Take consultation of a veterinarian regularly. Because only an experienced veterinarian can give the right directions and suggestions.
Cat Vomiting Vs Regurgitation:
In this section, we’ll try to explain the difference between vomiting and regurgitation is. The College of Veterinary Medicine at Washington State University is shown the difference between vomiting and regurgitation at their Pet Health Topic Web site. Their statement is-
Vomiting is the ejection of contents of the stomach and upper intestine; regurgitation is the ejection of contents of the esophagus.
Vomiting is an active process. It forcibly excretes various elements from the upper part of the intestine or stomach, which your cat took as food. During this time, the cat’s abdominal muscles begin to retch, contract, and expand. You know it before it happens because cats make a different sound before they do it. And from that, you can be sure that your cat is going to vomit. This could be due to many reasons, including:
- Kidney disease
- Pain of body
- Medication being given
- Increased pressure with the cat’s skull
- Inflammation of the pancreas
- Hormonal disorders
- Intestinal ulcers
- Stomach or obstruction, etc.
Regurgitation is a passive process. Cats do this very quietly. If you are not very careful, you will never know that your cat is going to have regurgitation. At this time the cat’s stomach does not contract and the symptoms of vomiting are not visible. At this point, the cat simply lowers its head and the food or other material inside it comes out. Regurgitation occurs for several reasons –
- Inflammation of the esophagus (esophagitis)
- Myasthenia gravis (MG)
- Persistent Right Aortic Arch
- Megaesophagus (ME)
- Vascular Ring Anomaly, etc.
This was the major difference between vomiting and regurgitation. We will discuss this in more detail in the future.
Best Cat Food To Prevent Vomiting
If your cat has a problem with digestion and vomits, you can try one of the following products which we have analyzed. Each product we use ourselves, later reviewed here. Here we have just made an excellent list of dry cat foods so that you can easily choose the one you like. Let’s know about the products then.
1. Purina ONE Sensitive Stomach Dry Best Cat Food to Stop VomitingPurina ONE Sensitive Stomach Dry Cat Food can be a very good choice for gentle digestion. This is especially good when your cat is vomiting. This is a veterinarian’s recommended cat food. This recipe is made of three main food items. These are Real Turkey, Wholesome Grains, and Accents of Real Vegetables. Turkey helps cats to receive protein. Grains are popular for nutrients and carbohydrates which are necessary for the healthy energy of cats. Under vegetable, Purina One includes fresh carrots and peas. If you feed this recipe to your cat for up to 28 days according to the prescribed rules. Then you will notice 4 improvements in your cat. These are healthy energy, bright eyes, a shiny coat, and a strong immune system. The company claims so.
Crude Protein 34%, Crude Fat 14%, Crude Fiber 4%, Moisture 12%, Linoleic Acid 2.3%, Calcium 1%, Phosphorus 0.9%, Zinc 150mg/kg, Selenium 0.35 mg/kg, Vitamin A 14000 IU/kg, Vitamin E 450 IU/kg, Taurine 0.15%, and Omega-6 Fatty Acids 2.5%.
Turkey, Corn Gluten Meal, Brewers Rice, Soybean Meal, Oat Meal, Turkey By-Product Meal, Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols, Whole Grain Corn, Dried Egg Product, Animal Liver Flavor, Phosphoric Acid, Soybean Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Caramel Color, Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity).
If the weight of your cat is 5 lbs, treat his 1/3 cup, 2/3 cup for 9 lbs, 2/3 cup for 10 lbs, and 1 cup for 14 lbs. But you can keep an eye on your cat, if he needs more, you can increase the amount. The same goes for reducing.
- Suitable for sensitive systems
- Good digestible
- Nourishes sensitive skin
- Very affordable
- Caramel color existed
- Corn, gluten and soybeans, etc. are available as a source of protein.
2. Royal Canin Digestive Care Dry Cat Food for Cats that VomitAt this stage of the list is the Royal Canin Digestive Care dry cat food. This cat food is very popular locally. It goes without saying that there is no negative review. Cat owners can hear this from each other. Royal Canin Digestive Care dry cat food is very suitable for one and more than one year older cats who are suffered from sensitive stomachs and don’t want to face it. Prebiotics and dietary fibers specially blend in this recipe. According to the company, this recipe shows a 42% improvement in cat stool production after 10 days of regular eating. It also has many other qualities.
Crude Protein 36%, Crude Fat 13%, Crude Fiber 3.7%, Moisture 8%. Besides, caloric content is 3,725 kcal/kg, 350 kcal/cup.
Brewers rice, chicken fat, corn gluten meal, chicken meal, soy protein isolate, wheat gluten, natural flavors, corn, wheat, dried chicory root, calcium sulfate, fish oil, vegetable oil, sodium silico aluminate, powdered cellulose, potassium chloride, sodium pyrophosphate, salt, fructooligosaccharides, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), biotin, niacin supplement, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A acetate, folic acid, psyllium seed husk, vitamin D3 supplement, monocalcium phosphate, trace minerals [zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganous oxide, manganese proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], taurine, rosemary extract, citric acid, and preserved with mixed tocopherols.
Normally offer your cat this recipe according to their size. Such as 1/2 cup for 6.6 lbs, 1/2 cup for 8.8 lbs, 5/8 cup for 11 lbs, and 3/4 cup for 13.2 lbs. This is a general guide. This guide is variable on a variety of topics such as pet mood, environment, temperature, age, etc. Contact the veterinarian to get the right direction.
- Adjustable for indicative of poor digestion
- Slower eating to aid digestion
- Nourishes sensitive skin
- Dietary and prebiotics fiber
- Comparably high price than weight
- Used some plant-based protein
3. Rachael Ray Nutrish Super Premium Dry Best Food for Cats who vomitWhat can you give a cat for throwing up? If this is your question, we will suggest you buy the Rachael Ray Nutrish Super Premium dry food. It is real chicken cat food. Besides, a good combination is available here with salmon, wholesome lentils, pumpkins, cranberries, antioxidants, etc. This recipe is very suitable for adult indoor cats to keep them far from digesting problems and throwing up food. Important vitamins, minerals, and amino acids make nutrients this product. The company calls out that it is very tasty, your cat will get a taste of homemade recipes from it. Moreover, by feeding your cat regularly for 10+ days, you will see a different change in your cat, which is not the case before. And of course, this change will be positive.
Crude Protein 34%, Crude Fat 12%, Crude Fiber 8%, Moisture 9%, Methionine 0.62%, Calcium 1%, Taurine 0.15%, Omega-6 Fatty Acids 1.5%, Ascorbic Acid 50mg/kg.
Chicken, Brewers Rice, Chicken Meal, Dried Peas, Lentils, Poultry Fat, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Flaxseed, Pumpkin, Cranberries, Salmon, Natural Flavor, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Caramel (Color), Choline Chloride, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, Dried Blueberry, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Manganese Sulfate, Dandelion, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, D-calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement.
If your cat’s size is 5 lbs, give him 1/2 cup, 3/4 cup for 10 lbs, and 1 cup for 15 lbs. However, depending on the age and weight of the cat, this amount can be more or less. You can talk to your veterinarian to adjust the right amount.
- Fiber-rich lentils
- Natural prebiotics from pumpkin
- Antioxidant-rich product
- There have not existed such major negative supplements by which your cat may fall into a dangerous situation.
4. IAMS Proactive Dry Best Cat Food for Cats That Throw Up a LotIAMS Proactive Health (Indoor Weight and Hairball Care) is Amazon’s Choice of best cat food to prevent vomiting easily in the dry cat food category. This food is very active on hairball caring, healthy weighting, strengthening muscles, healthy heart breathing, the sound of skin and coat. This cat food manufactures in two flavors, for example, one is chicken flavor and another is salmon flavor. Both present as the main source of protein. This dry food is edible for kittens, adults, or senior cats. So, any size and age of cats can eat it. It helps a lot in weight loss, weight management. It contains l-carnitine which burns excess fat and helps cats stay healthy.
Crude Protein 30%, Crude Fat 11-13%, Crude Fiber 8.3%, Moisture 10%, Calcium 0.75% Phosphorus 0.65%, Potassium 0.65%, Taurine 0.13%, L-Carnitine 80 gm/kg, Omega-6 Fatty Acids 2%, Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.2%, and Calorie contents has 3364 kcal ME/kg, 302 kcal ME/cup.
Chicken By-Product Meal, Chicken, Corn Grits, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Turkey, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Powdered Cellulose, Natural Flavor, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Caramel Color, Sodium Bisulfate, Choline Chloride, Fish Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Calcium Carbonate, Fructooligosaccharides, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin, Vitamin A Acetate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Folic Acid], Minerals [Zinc Oxide, Taurine, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Copper Sulfate], L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract, Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid (preservatives)
Suggested amount to feed per day based on the weight of the cat. For example, 1/3 cup for 4 lbs, 2/3 cup for 8 lbs, 1/2 cup for 12 lbs, 2/3 or 1 cup for 16 lbs, 3/4 cup for 22 lbs, 5/4 cup for 25 lbs, etc. But these directions don’t fix it may be changing in any situation. So, contact the vet to get the actual and perfect direction.
- No artificial preservatives
- Real animal protein ingredients
- Suitable for kitten, adult, or senior cats
- This product can be seen in the presence of caramel color.
5. Nutro Wholesome Essentials Dry Good Foods for Cat after VomitingNutro wholesome essentials sensitive cat chicken, rice & peas recipe dry cat food is made with non-GMO ingredients from trusted suppliers and farmers. It is another Amazon’s Choice dry best cat food to prevent vomiting. It has two styles one is an indoor adult and another is sensitive digestion. It is very suitable for kittens, adults, and senior cats. Its main features are real chicken, antioxidants to make healthy immunity, and omega-6 fatty acids to develop a shiny coat and healthy skin. The company says that there is not use corn, wheat, or soy protein, chicken by-product meal, artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors, etc. Many cat lovers believe that it is a real chicken, rich nutrition, full flavor with delicious indoor healthy cat food.
Crude Protein 33.0% min, Crude Fat 16.0% min, Crude Fiber 4.0% max, Moisture 10.0% max, Calcium 0.9% min, and Caloric Content is 3727 kcal ME/kg, 429 kcal ME/cup
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Pea Protein, Vitamin A Supplement, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Flaxseed, Potato Protein, Soybean Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), DL-Methionine, Zinc Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Rosemary Extract Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid (preservatives), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Potassium Chloride, Oat Fiber, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Natural Flavor, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Choline Chloride, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Salt, Taurine, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide
There is described the instruction of feeding. It depends on the cat’s weight, and age. For example, 1/4 cup for 8 lbs, 1/3 cup for 12 lbs, 1/2 cup for 16 lbs, 2/3 cup for 22 lbs, and 3/4 cup for 22 lbs. But this instruction is variable due to the cat’s mod, environment, and situation. So, please take suggestions from the vet.
- Healthy digestion
- Used natural fats
- Included natural fiber
- Suitable for all types of cat
- Unsuitable for less than one year old kittens
- Not tested in pregnant
Vomiting is a common problem among cats. In most cases it goes away on its own, sometimes it changes with diet, but sometimes it can be fatal.
Whenever you notice this problem in your cat, arrange some food that is easily digested for him. And our best cat food to prevent vomiting article to determine foods will give you much help. And yes, before doing anything on your own, consult your nearest veterinarian.
Frequently Asked Questions:
There answered some people also asked. If you have any other questions besides these, you can let us know in the comments.
What is the best food for a cat that vomits?
If your cat suffers from acute vomiting, you should offer him an easily digestible diet. Our listed all cat foods go to this category. Again, your cat suffers from a chronic case, you should contact the vet for assistance the better suggestions.
Why does my cat throw up after eating?
There are so many reasons. If it is normal to you, you can follow our instructions which are described under how to prevent vomiting. If it is abnormal to you, you have to confirm what the main reason is. Its right answer has to be the vet.
Why does my cat keep throwing up undigested food?
A cat can throw up undigested food due to several reasons. It may regurgitate or vomit. So, the actual reason has to find out first, then you should take the step. In this situation, you should treat our recommended dry foods and contact the vet as possible as.
Does grain-free cat food help with vomiting?
It is a controversial question. Someone says that grain is safe for animals. At the same time, many people have stood against it. So, our suggestion will be to keep far from grain when your cat vomiting. It will be the best option for you as you are a cat lover and you want to keep safe your pet.
Why is my senior cat vomiting?
When a cat reaches the senior level, its digestive system is not worked properly as in the previous situation. Their immunity decrease day by day. As a result, they are easily infected with various diseases, such as vomiting. For these reasons, senior cat vomiting. Besides, there are more reasons.
What is the best cat food to prevent hairballs?
Hardball is the main reason for cat vomiting. So if you can control the cause of vomiting in cats, in the meantime the cat’s hairball will be controlled. There is no need to do anything separately to control the hair bell. So, we will suggest to you our listed best cat food prevent vomiting.
What is the easiest food for a cat to digest?
The cat is a carnivore. If you give him meat dishes, he will be able to digest them easily. So offer your cat more meat. We have discussed above the list of some foods of ready-made meat for cats. Please, consider these products for your cat.
How to soothe your cat’s upset stomach?
When you feed your cat with a great combination of canned and dry food, it will result from balanced moisture to meals. This is the highly recommended digestible therapeutic food for your cat.